Jean Perzel and the lighting of the League of Nations
Our ceiling light No. 601 illuminate the Council Chamber
Jean Perzel received in 1928 the first prize in the lighting contest of Decorators and four first prize for its fixtures in 1936, including the magnificent ceiling light, model 601. Everyone loved, and still do, the elegance and pure forms of this creation : the cup in convex frosted ground glass of this luxurious ceiling light is sitting on a brass bowl, hung by a rod.
It is indeed this ceiling light that was chosen to illuminate the Council Chamber in the Palace of the League of Nations in Geneva (later UN), inaugurated in 1936. This Council had, at the time, authority to deal with any matter affecting world peace.
The League of Nations Palace : an institution illuminated by Jean Perzel
When the Palace of the League of Nations was created (between 1929 et 1937), and following an international call for tenders, all the interior decorative lighting was entrusted to Jean Perzel whose fame increased from day to day.
He realized for this project several models of sconces, chandeliers and lamps for different halls, galleries, offices and rooms. These lights are still visible today, almost 100 years later.
The Palace of the League of Nations is now one of the most evocative testimonies of architecture and decoration of the 30s, the Art Deco style.